Location: Hybrid / London, EC4A and homeworking
Reporting to: Head of Investor Engagement
Salary: £50,000 – £60,000
Contract: Full-time, Permanent
Are you a motivated investor relations professional looking for a more purposeful career? Are you looking to leverage your skills to help drive social good? This might be the role you are looking for.
Schroders and Big Society Capital (BSC) launched the Schroder BSC Social Impact Trust (Social Impact Trust) in December 2020. The trust is a UK listed vehicle that aims to provide access to proven social impact investments that have only been available through specialist private market funds. The Social Impact Trust builds on Big Society Capital’s ten-year track record of investing in high impact solutions in the UK.
This role provides an opportunity to shape the development of a market leading investment trust as well as helping to develop new products within the fast-growing market for impact investment.
What you will do:
Reporting to BSC’s Head of Investor Engagement, the successful applicant will be responsible for the day-to-day activities of the trust in relation to identifying, qualifying, and meeting investors as well as managing investor relationships. Working closely with the Head of Investor Engagement and Schroders, the role will involve the following key activities:
- Engagement strategy: managing the development of the trust’s investor engagement strategy including reporting to the Social Impact Trust board.
- Relationship management: creating individual plans to engage both existing and prospective investors of the Trust and lead on the ongoing management of these investor relationships.
- Stakeholder management: working closely with Schroders to manage a program of investor meetings and events to support understanding and awareness of the trust’s unique investment proposition – including representing the trust to investors.
- Content marketing: originating and owning high quality, high impact presentations and diligence requests to showcase the trust to new and existing investors.
- Investor reporting: working with the BSC investment, impact, and finance teams to prepare material for investor updates, financial and impact reports.
- Product development: contributing to the design and development of new client facing products to enable BSC to widen its impact and drive further development of the UK social impact investment market.
- Internal Collaboration: contributing to investment team’s work by taking part in internal meetings to help bring insights & connections from engagement work to BSC’s investment activities.
- Self starter with strong track record in investor relationship building
- Interest in impact investing and/or social sector either in a personal or professional capacity
- Good understanding of private market investments, ideally in the UK context
- Strong written and verbal communications skills and ability to communicate appropriately and effectively depending on the audience
- Experience developing and /or overseeing the production of superior quality investor facing reporting and marketing collateral, from ideation to execution
- Strong powerpoint and excel capabilities
- Proven project management capability
- Ideally you have experience working in the wholesale financial services sector
- Existing knowledge, networks and investor relationships
- Experience working in social impact investment sector
Skills, Abilities and Attributes
- Familiarity with a wide range of investment solutions
- Evidence of success in origination and/or co-creation of valuable client relationships
- Able to confidently communicate the impact and risk adjusted financial return of social investments
- Ability to understand both the perspective and financing needs of potential investees and how this relates to investors’ motivations and constraints
- Ability to understand and empathise with the needs of different investor groups
- Ability to establish excellent working relationships both internally and externally
- Entrepreneurial self-starter who is highly motivated, keen to learn and happy to get involved and help the wider team as required
- Flexible, resilient and good at finding innovative solutions to problems
- Focused on deliverables, able to prioritise, works in a systematic and organised way You can work with limited direction but are also a strong team player, outcome focused and highly motivated to be part of the movement to create a sustained shift in institutional investment to impact investing.
Embody Big Society Capital core values:
- Purposeful –We are passionate and energetic in our work to bring about our long-term vision of a thriving social investment market that enables positive social impact.
- Pioneering Spirit - We give our team the autonomy and flexibility to be entrepreneurial and creative. We have the courage to push boundaries and a restless drive for change
- Openness - We listen, learn, experiment and collaborate. And we are adaptive and flexible in responding to what we learn.
- Rigorous - We take a rigorous approach in all we do. We expect the highest standards and continually strive for excellence
- Respectful - We are genuine in both our approach and aspiration. We value each member of our team and our partners for what they bring.
Don’t meet every requirement? Studies have shown that women and people from racialised communities are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. If you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Provide an overview of other terms and consider if the role is suitable for visa sponsorship (appropriate for particularly specialist or senior positions that are hard-to-fill).
- Location: We are a UK-based business with an office in the Chancery Lane area of London, accessible to a number of public transport links. Colleagues typically spend 40% - 60% of their working hours in the office, and the remainder from home. However, the exact requirements for this role can be discussed at interview. We hope that this working pattern encourages Big Society Capital employees to achieve a healthy balance between work and personal life, as we adapt to the needs of our diverse workforce.
- Right to work: for candidates who do not have the right to work in the UK, Big Society Capital may consider visa sponsorship.
- Equality, Diversity and Inclusion: Big Society Capital is committed to being a diverse organisation that is truly representative of the communities we serve. We therefore welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds, particularly those under-represented in the social impact investment sector (e.g. people from LGBTQIA+; racialised; disabled; under-served communities)
We are an equal opportunities employer with an inclusive environment where all employees can contribute to their fullest potential. We want every colleague to be able to deliver their work with dignity, equality, comfort and independence. Our office is fully accessible with step-free access and an open-plan set up. We are open to accommodation requests regarding assistive technologies, accessibility tools, flexible working or any other reasonable adjustments that will make working or visiting here more accessible for you. If you have a disability or other access needs and require any support to assist you through the recruitment process, please get in touch with Nica Gordon (People and Talent Officer) at firstname.lastname@example.org
How to apply
Please apply via Applied. Applied is a platform designed to minimise unconscious bias in recruitment. You will be asked some work-based questions which are reviewed anonymously by the hiring panel. Please note, while you will upload your CV, it will not be viewed by panel members at this stage, so we ask that you give full consideration to each answer.
Please note: we screen for answers generated by Chat GPT. To get a 5 star score, we ask that your Applied answers are authentic and reflect your own knowledge, skills and motivations.
As a Disability Confident employer, we guarantee an initial telephone interview for all candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum criteria for the job. We are defining a disability in accordance with the Equality Act 2010, as a person who has a physical or mental impairment, and the impairment has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on their ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities. You will be asked in your Applied application whether this applies to you.
You can find out more about our recruitment approach here.