Job Title: ImpactVC Community Manager
Reports to: Claire Kearney, Member of ImpactVC Leadership Team & BSC Head of Investment Network
Salary: £44,000- £50,000 pro-rata
Contract: 3 days per week; Permanent
Location: Hybrid / London, EC4A and homeworking
Benefits: at Big Society Capital, we recognise that employees need to valued and rewarded for their work and that a payslip is only part of the package. Our competitive benefits package includes private healthcare, a generous pension, enhanced family leave, monthly wellbeing hours, additional closure days and more.
ImpactVC is a community focused on impact for venture capital investors, currently being incubated within Big Society Capital. We are looking for someone 3 days per week to lead on our work engaging and growing the community.
ImpactVC is a community focused on impact for venture capital investors, aiming to be the go-to place for people backing and building high impact companies. ImpactVC's purpose is to build community and resources to unlock venture capital’s ability to solve the world’s most pressing challenges. This is founded in the belief that venture capital can deliver transformative positive change in outcomes for people and planet – if VCs focus effectively on intentional positive impact in their investments – and that doing so can unlock significant commercial value in parallel. ImpactVC gives VCs the community and resources they need to do this, aiming to fundamentally tilt the venture ecosystem towards impact.
In practice this means we do two big things:
- Build a community of leaders within venture capital – including both VCs experienced in impact and top tier mainstream VCs who are newer to impact. This community will learn together, share insights, and foster collaboration to accelerate impact within venture capital.
- Co-develop a suite of open-source tools and products that help venture firms invest effectively for impact – from setting fund-level goals, to sourcing and selecting startups with an impact lens, to helping those startups scale their impact alongside their commercial value.
ImpactVC is currently being incubated within Big Society Capital (BSC), the UK's leading investor in impact venture funds, but over time it is designed to spin out to be led by the community in the UK, Europe, and beyond.
Overview of the Community Manager role
ImpactVC launched in summer 2022. Already the community has grown to include 100+ top VCs – from top tier mainstream funds, impact pioneers, and new managers with a focus on impact. We currently have three active working groups, including one with expert voices on building community in venture capital, and have recently launched our community engagement channels for the wider community.
Our Community Manager will lead on ImpactVC’s community strategy, engagement, and operations in order to drive critical outcomes for the success of ImpactVC:
- Build awareness of ImpactVC, helping to shift the venture ecosystem towards impact through practical tools and resources
- Support VCs to hone their impact skills and improve their understanding of impact – including through connecting the community to existing content, developing new content, and creating spaces to discuss and disseminate learning.
- Inspire action in the community, building the space for co-creation and community-powered content to thrive – including through content creation, facilitating others’ contributions, and arranging shared activities.
This role will have high autonomy, with guidance from the ImpactVC leadership team and the Community Working Group made up of experts from within the community.
What’s in it for you
- Be at the heart of building a community around positive impact within venture capital, seeking to fundamentally influence the venture capital ecosystem.
- Work closely with top venture capital investors and impact experts on a day-to-day basis.
- Learn about impact from those working at the cutting edge of impact in venture.
- Play a key role in a lean, dynamic team with the stability of a well-supported and collaborative initiative, and the culture and feel of a social enterprise start-up.
What you will do
Community Manager Responsibilities
- Community Strategy: Refine and execute on ImpactVC’s community strategy, working alongside the ImpactVC leadership team, Community Working Group, and wider community membership.
- Community Engagement: Manage the day-to-day for the primary ImpactVC community spaces (starting with Slack and Notion), including developing a cadence for regular content and communications, managing onboarding, owning social media channels, and building relationships with people in the community.
- Community Events: Design, organise and participate in a range of in-person and online events to build community connectivity – including flagship annual ‘summit’ events.
- Community Operations: Documenting and improving ImpactVC’s community operations and processes.
- Sponsor Engagement: Build relationships with ImpactVC’s Founding Sponsors and drive engagement and value for them through the community and associated activities.
What you will bring
Skills, Abilities and Attributes
- Passionate about impact with a burning desire to make a difference – and an interest in technology, startups, and the early stage investment ecosystem.
- Entrepreneurial self-starter with community management and/or community building experience – including the ability to handle both strategy and hands on work getting things built.
- Empathetic and people-driven – great at building relationships including with senior stakeholders, generating rapport with a range of personalities, and understanding community dynamics.
- Great at project planning and organisation – including balancing tasks across day-to-day work and longer term projects.
- Comfortable with technology and data – including using software and user interfaces such as Slack, Notion, Airtable etc as well as collecting and interpreting data on community activities and feedback.
Embody Big Society Capital core values
- Purposeful –We are passionate and energetic in our work to bring about our long-term vision of a thriving social investment market that enables positive social impact.
- Pioneering Spirit - We give our team the autonomy and flexibility to be entrepreneurial and creative. We have the courage to push boundaries and a restless drive for change
- Openness - We listen, learn, experiment and collaborate. And we are adaptive and flexible in responding to what we learn.
- Rigorous - We take a rigorous approach in all we do. We expect the highest standards and continually strive for excellence
- Respectful - We are genuine in both our approach and aspiration. We value each member of our team and our partners for what they bring.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people from racialised communities are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. If you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
- Contract: Part-time, 3 days per week role (flexibility on specific working hours).
- Location: We are a UK-based business with an office in the Chancery Lane area of London, accessible to a number of public transport links. Our current approach allows colleagues to spend 40% - 60% of their working hours in the office, and the remainder from home. We hope that this working pattern encourages Big Society Capital employees to achieve a healthy balance between work and personal goals, as we continue to adapt to the changing needs of our diverse workforce.
- Right to work: for candidates who do not have the right to work in the UK, Big Society Capital may consider visa sponsorship.
- Equality, Diversity and Inclusion: Big Society Capital is committed to being a diverse organisation that is truly representative of the communities we serve. We therefore welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds, particularly those under-represented in the social impact investment sector (e.g. people from LGBTQIA+; racialised; disabled; under-served communities).
We are an equal opportunities employer with an inclusive environment where all employees can contribute to their fullest potential. We want every colleague to be able to deliver their work with dignity, equality, comfort and independence. Our office is fully accessible with step-free access and an open-plan set up. We are open to accommodation requests regarding assistive technologies, accessibility tools, flexible working or any other reasonable adjustments that will make working or visiting here more accessible for you. If you have a disability or other access needs and require any support to assist you through the recruitment process, please get in touch with Ruth Davidson (People and Talent Manager) at email@example.com
How to apply
Please apply via Applied by midday Monday 21 November 2022.
Applied is a platform designed to minimise unconscious bias in recruitment. You will be asked some work-based questions which are reviewed anonymously by the hiring panel. Please note, while you will upload your CV, it will not be viewed by panel members at this stage, so we ask that you give full consideration to each answer. As a Disability Confident employer, we guarantee an interview for all candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum criteria for the job. We are defining a disability in accordance with the Equality Act 2010, as a person who has a physical or mental impairment, and the impairment has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on their ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities. You will be asked in your Applied application whether this applies to you.
Round 1 interviews will be held on w/c 28 November 2022
Round 2 interviews will be held on w/c 5 December 2022
You can find out more about our recruitment approach.Apply here