Health and wellbeing
Keeping our team healthy is our priority. We want everyone to feel at their physical and mental best. To achieve this goal, we offer a broad range of benefits, which we believe make a positive contribution towards our teams' overall health and wellbeing.
Private medical insurance
- We offer private medical insurance to all our colleagues and their dependants, paid for in full by Big Society Capital.
- Private Medical Insurance gives fast access to private healthcare and treatment, and choice about who treats you.
- Other benefits of the PMI scheme include up to 40% discount on gym membership, 24/7 virtual GP appointments, 75% of the costs of dental and optical costs reimbursed and a self-referral facility for physio, skin clinics and mental health care.
Employee assistance programme (EAP)
- We offer access to a free, confidential counselling and information service for all our colleagues and their dependants.
- The EAP offers support with both physical and mental health, with up to ten free one-to-one counselling sessions and a helpline, allowing employees to talk to a counsellor on the phone 24 hours a day. There’s also support available with financial and legal issues, a get fit programme , second medical opinion, stop smoking programme and a probate helpline.
Health cash plan
- We offer a health cash plan to all our colleagues and their dependants, paid for in full by Big Society Capital.
- This allows employees to claim money back towards the cost of medical care, such as optical, dental, chiropody, consultation and physiotherapy fees.
For two hours per month, employees are encouraged to take time away from their work, to focus on their wellbeing. This can be for any activity that you personally find helpful for your wellbeing, such as going for a run, having a lie in or watching a film.
Switch off afternoons
Once a month, we have a meeting, message and call-free afternoon, allowing you time to “Switch Off”, and focus on tasks which need your full attention, without any interruptions.
Group pension plan
Big Society Capital matches employees’ contributions and adds a further 3%, up to a maximum of 11% of salary.
Group life assurance
All employees over 18 and below state pension age are covered for four times their basic annual salary if they die in service.
Group income protection insurance
All employees over 18 and below state pension age are covered by Big Society Capital’s group income protection scheme that provides a basic benefit of 75% of salary after a deferred period of 26 weeks’ sick leave.
Family & parenting
We want to support our team through all life stages and help integrate and balance work with family and caring responsibilities. We are committed to our ongoing EDI strategy, in which we strive to create a culture that is inclusive and where our team can thrive in both their professional and home lives.
Enhanced family leave benefits
- We offer full pay for 26 weeks of maternity, adoption and shared parental leave.
- We offer full pay for 4 weeks for partners taking paternity leave.
Flexible working and time off
We understand that our team need time to recharge and to have the flexibility to get their best work done. We believe it’s crucial that everyone has the chance to genuinely switch off, refresh and recharge, so we offer a generous annual leave entitlement and a variety of paid time off options.
Generous leave entitlement
- We offer a generous annual leave entitlement of 25 days, rising to 30 days based on length of service.
Other forms of leave:
- Christmas office closure – we commit to closing the office for the three working days between Christmas and New Year, in addition to the annual leave entitlement.
- Life Events – we offer up to two days (in addition to the annual leave entitlement) that can be used for any important life events (such as getting married, a child’s graduation or moving house).
- Religious holidays – we recognise that bank holidays in the UK are based around the Christian religion – we therefore offer the option for employees to work on Good Friday and transfer the leave for that bank holiday to their own religious festival.
- Volunteering leave – we are committed to making a meaningful contribution to the communities were we work and live – we offer employees 3 days’ paid leave each year to participate in voluntary activities.
Hybrid / flexible working
We operate hybrid working, which is a flexible mix of office-based work and working from home. We also want to help employees balance their workloads with personal commitments, so we offer a variety of flexible arrangements such as part-time working, job shares and flexing hours – the key is that this works for both Big Society Capital and our employees.
Other perks and benefits
Other resources to support your growth, productivity and wellbeing.
Give as you earn scheme
This is a charity giving scheme which allows you to make regular monthly tax-free donations to registered charities in the UK.
Interest-free season ticket loan
We offer all employees a loan to cover the cost of an annual season ticket, with repayments spread over 12 months.
Cycle to work scheme
This enables employees to purchase a bike and cycling equipment in an easy and tax-efficient way.
Career and professional development
We are committed to promoting a culture of learning and continued professional development for all staff, so our ordinary training budget allows for up to £1,500 per person per year, along with paid study leave for exams.
If you haven’t opted into the private medical insurance or health cash plan, you can claim the reasonable cost of an annual eye test back from BSC. The cost will be reimbursed subject to the production of receipts.