Location: London, EC4A
Salary: circa £47,000 (depending on experience)
Accountable to: Head of Finance
Contract: Permanent, full time role, open to flexible working
Deadline: Midday on Sunday 26 January 2020
Overall Purpose of the Role:
This is an exciting opportunity to join a motivated team and play a critical role in supporting all financial processes at Big Society Capital. Your work will be complex and varied, offering exposure to a range of pioneering projects across Big Society Capital’s corporate and investment activity.
The position will have an initial focus on month end processes and production of the management accounts, assisting with the development of management information that enables deeper understanding of the organisation and its performance. You will also support investment accounting, fund and treasury accounting, the preparation of statutory reporting and returns; managing Big Society Capital’s liquidity and cash flow; and preparing and monitoring departmental budgets. The position will ensure that effective financial controls and procedures are maintained and will include some responsibility for the valuation of investments.
Work in the Finance team consisting of the CFO, Head of Finance, Senior Finance Manager and Management Accountant. Extensive contact with all members of staff, particularly the Investment team, the Legal and Compliance team and the Operations team. Contact with Executive Committee members to get authorisations and develop/monitor budgets.
Auditors, bank, treasury management providers, regulatory advisers, FCA, HMRC, investees
Flexibility to develop the role and take on additional tasks as required
- Support the month end process, including reporting to Senior Management and the FCA.
- Develop departmental budgets and input into the forecasting process.
- Manage the organisation’s liquidity effectively, so that funds are available when required.
- Support statutory reporting, including group consolidation, and liaise with auditors to ensure accurate and timely completion of the year end process.
- Preparation of annual tax returns and other tax requirements, liaising with external Tax advisers as required.
- Assist with the preparation of FCA reporting and other requirements.
- With the team, maintain and develop accurate accounting systems, records and reporting, with adequate financial controls. Review and develop processes for the valuation and financial monitoring of Big Society Capital’s social investment portfolio, including preparation for the Quarterly Valuation Committee.
- Review quarterly Fund reporting and Audited Accounts from Big Society Capital’s investments and ensure Fund income and expenditure and valuation gains/losses are accurately recorded in Big Society Capital’s accounting system. Liaison with Fund Managers as required.
- With the team, research and stay current with accounting standards, guidance and legislation, and apply to Big Society Capital’s financial and FCA reporting requirements.
- Undertake project work to support the development of Big Society Capital and the finance function, including supporting the introduction of external social impact investing products.
Download the candidate pack for the full job specification.