We have an opportunity to put diversity and inclusion at the forefront of our organisation and our sector, to achieve impact through a cultural change as well as through our investments, demonstrating that diversity isn’t just the right thing to do, it’s also a route to excellence. We can do this through our behaviours, our culture, the support we provide to other organisations, the people we reach in our events and campaigns, our investment decisions and our capital.
The 2019 Diversity and Inclusion plan sets out the measures we will take over the next year. We will measure our progress against these action points and report on them in 2020, while also developing an updated plan to keep moving forward. We will work closely with the Diversity Forum to align goals for the future plan.
What we’ve done
- Conducted an inclusive language review of internal and external communications.
- Developed our flexible working policy.
- Committed not to take part in all-male panels at events.
- Developed a People Strategy with Diversity and Inclusion as a key focus.
- Signed the Diversity Forum Manifesto.
- Signed the Women in Finance Charter.
- Taken our first associate placement from the 2027 scheme.
Reviewing our investment and portfolio processes, which includes:
- Developing Diversity and Inclusion best practice for fund managers in our Building Blocks and DD guides around governance, investment assessment and diligence.
- Asking fund managers to conduct and report an annual gender pay gap review.
- Collecting and publishing fund managers’ gender data such as representation on executive teams and Investment Committees, and the gender pay gap.
- Mandatory reporting of gender data of frontline investees’ CEOs.
- Running diversity training for Investment group and Investment Committee.
What we’ve committed to do
- Closing our gender pay gap.
- Supporting the development of a mentoring scheme for groups experiencing specific barriers to progression (e.g women, BAME groups) across the social impact investment sector.
- Supporting the development of a sector-wide apprenticeship scheme.
- Supporting the reach of social investment to more diverse entrepreneurs.
- Clarifying diversity and inclusion approaches used by fund managers of our treasury portfolio.